[Dixielandjazz] Couple of points - Woody & Hot Dance

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 4 16:27:22 PDT 2008

I don't often disagree with my friend, Sr Barbone out on the Non-left
Coast.  But now I will.

I prefer Mr Tyle's take on "hot dance", as it accords with my own spin
on the vast majority of 1920s records and CDs I have in my overloaded
library.  I remember very (and I mean VERY) early on in my OKOM life,
understanding that the only reason one of Sam Lanin's 300+ pseudonymous
bands could even be considered "hot" was that Red or Miff or someone of
equal ilk went wild on a solo, and that was it.  Nearly every time,
after the solo everything went back to societally acceptable "dance"
material.  All this to point up the fact that the only reason anyone
bothered to spend 15 cents at his "newsstand every Thursday" on a Hit of
the Week, was the hope that someone would show up with a solo worth
listening to.

I'm out of my league here, but I thought I'd chime in.

M.