[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 67, Issue 4

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 13:42:53 PDT 2008

On Jul 3, 2008, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com wrote:
>
> The problem is that if someone goes to see/hear Woody because it is
> him
> and then thinks "If that's dixieland I don't like it". They wont
> seek out any other bands. And that hurts OKOM.
>
> If Woody plays high energy good jazz then he might encourage
> more people to search out more OKOM.
>
> I'm not commenting on whether Woody does or does not play well.
> I've not heard him.

Hi Andy:

That's a very big "IF". Why take the negative? Suppose they like it?
(which is more likely the case)  Since he continually draws large
audiences I think we might infer that it isn't hurting OKOM. If he
headlined at an OKOM festival, those who come to see/hear him, would
be exposed to the expertise of all the other bands there. Since
Montreal did have other Dixieland bands, that probably happened there.
It is a big street party with lots going on. I should think his fans
were exposed to quite a few other jazz bands from "expert" Dixieland
to Avant Garde.

If those audiences, which are cheer him and dance in the streets to
his band, (according to his reviewers) are enjoying themselves that
much, then I suspect it helps the genre. For the most part, they are
not saying;  "I don't like it."  And it is the "they" whose opinion
counts in this regard. Aren't we totally ignoring the pleasurable
effect that his band has on the audience? Perhaps some falling prey to
our own self important view that;  "If I, as a knowledgeable fan,
don't like it, nobody else should."

Bands like mine and Kash's do indeed draw large, young, audiences.
However he is in Spain and Barbone Street is very much an exception to
the general rule, here in the USA. I don't know about Jim, but it is
our attention to wants and needs of the audience that convinces them
pay money to see us. That's basic band marketing. And yes, we still
retain our musical integrity.

There is so much negativity about successful bands. I've often heard
others diss those bands that please festival audiences through visual
pranks, using hokum or otherwise putting on a show. "They ruin the art
form" etc. Or heard them say, "Gee, to be successful on the circuit,
all you have to have is a pretty chick singer." etc.  That last one
was a swipe at Brady McKay, taken by a jealous band leader (who also
sings) but can longer get festival or other gigs because his audience
died off. That kind of thing is just sour grapes, by those bands/
musicians who have no audience and make no effort to develop a new one.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband