[Dixielandjazz] Concert Review - Woody Allen

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 08:46:43 PDT 2008

Just my point, Brian, just my point.
The Morgans, King Olivers, etc., are not considered "pure" New Orleans
nowadays.  I've got all that - the Sunshines, the Creole Band, Piron,
Celestin, you name it.  However, when people speak of "New Orleans"
nowadays, it's Bunk (who hated what he was made to play, and sounded
much much better when surrounded by more sophistcated musicians),
George Lewis, and the Presrvation Hall crowd  (just listen to the
European "New Orleans" bands - Colyer, Brian Carrick, Derek Winters  -
an excellent illustration of what I mean).  Sure, they are "revival"
bands, but many of the musicians involved were there when jazz was
still in the cradle.  Yet they were made to play what the white
critics thought was "right."  For example, most of the New Orleans
guitarists did not even own a banjo, but were made to acquire one to
play what the sponsors wanted.  Actually, even Kid Ory, who did not
quit stick to the "Preservation Hall" style, was compelled to play the
repertoire his public (told so by the "powers that be") wanted to
hear.  And even his band was severely criticized when it strayed from
that track: thus, the recordings he made with Marty Marsala (the best
of Kid Ory to my ears) were put down because of "incompatibility" of
Marsala's Chicago horn and the New Orleans style of Ory.
Cheers