[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 61, Issue 52

Russ Guarino russg at comcast.net
Tue Jan 29 07:53:43 PST 2008

Story about the Star Spangled Banner.....

When I received my music teaching credential, I next has a practical skills interview with the Los Angeles School district.

I appeared before a board of three music teachers and was asked questions and asked to identify certain objects on a table.

Lastly I was asked to conduct the Star Spangled Banner.  I began by singing it in my head with the pick ups.  I started with using a four beat motion.  Turned red and said, "Sorry, it is in three", started over and conducted it on out.

There is nothing like a bit of nervous to upset an interview.

Russ Guarino
Clarinet maven