[Dixielandjazz] Dressing Up Your Presentations

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Tue Jan 29 21:42:11 PST 2008

Dear Listers:

There is another book of song titles and composers which was written by
Warren E. Colbert in 1975.  It has a wonderfully whimsical title--Who Wrote
That Song, or Who in the Hell is J. Fred Coots?  I had access to this volume
when I was at Temple University between 1979 and 1984 (first as a graduate
student and then as an adjunct lecturer).  It was an immense help in
preparing comments about songs for jazz gigs.

John Frederick Coots was a Tin Pan Alley songwriter who wrote over 700
songs.  His most famous composition was Santa Claus is Coming to Town
(1937), which originally carried the title In Old Louisville.  When
published as Santa Claus, it sold over 4 million copies.  Coots also wrote
You Go to My Head and Louisiana Fairytale, which later became the theme
music for This Old House.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX