[Dixielandjazz] SSB waltz???

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:45:45 PST 2008

Actually, "The Star Spangled Banner" (rather, the melody to which the poem "To The Defence of Ft McHenry" became connected) IS a waltz.

"To Anacreon In Heaven", or "The Anacreontic Song" was written for the Anacreon Society by Mr Stafford (can't remember his first name--James??)  It became quite famous as a British pub song.  Lots of lyrics were attached to the melody, and it naturally made its way to the colonies.  After Key's poem was written and became well known, someone put the two together.

There's a great arrangement from about 1880 (the Stafford arrangement) which is literally played as a waltz.  Or, should be.

Any more, the tune is played/sung too slowly, by my taste.  It's not a great tune for singing, but the lyrics are great (IMO, naturally.)  Much less the ornamentation.

So, a little Anacreon-istic history lesson.

steve 'www.bluegraybrassbrass.com' hoog