[Dixielandjazz] Networking (The music is not enough)

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 09:29:56 PST 2008

Just returned from a morning meeting of the Greater Brandywine
Cultural Association (GBCA) held at the Brandywine Museum in Chadds
Ford. Joined it a few months ago and made many valuable contacts. It
is a relatively local organization that promotes cultural events and
networking, near my home base. Some members are well funded arts/music
foundations which seek to present the very cultural music that we call
OKOM.

http://www.brandywineculture.org/

Today's presentation was by WHYY TV/Radio, the leading media provider
and PBS/NPR affiliate in the Greater Philadelphia region.
They deliver arts and cultural programming on TV, radio, the web and
through community events. Today I discovered that they seek
information on arts and cultural events including . . . JAZZ and OKOM.
And much of these are FREE to the public while the band is paid. In
Woody Allen's words, 80 percent of success in life is just showing up.
( we appeared on WHYY TV 2 years ago for the Clifford Brown Jazz
Festival and got quite a few gigs as the result)

http://www.whyy.org/

Also, last Sunday I attended a focus group at The Kimmel Center in
Philly (Our version of Lincoln Center). The Kimmel is a Regional
Performing Arts Center, they seek to expand their outreach to regional
events including LOCAL JAZZ Music performances in their public space.

Bottom Line? For OKOM bands like ours which seek local performances,
these resources with their calendars and performance spaces are and
incredible source of gigs and/or gig listings.

  I think many cities/counties and towns in the USA have similar
organizations. For example Philadelphia has http://www.philaculture.org/

With a little digging, it may be possible for many of us to join such
groups and receive the benefits of this kind of networking. Over the
past few years Barbone Street has benefitted greatly. Through exposure
on Network TV,  PBS TV, Local radio,PBS radio, member website
listings, newspapers, magazines etc. In effect, we are acting like the
advance men of earlier times who preceded Louis Armstrong and put up
posters. Only we're doing it in the modern media. My cost so far was
$50 to join GBCA and gas money/ parking to attend the Kimmel Center
focus group. I expect the return will be far greater.

Band leaders who can spare the time may well find similar resources
for local gigs in their areas. For example, in Saint Louis check out http://gatewayarts.net/groups.asp

Cheers,
Steve Barbone