[Dixielandjazz] Lover (was Lydia Ain't Jazz)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 28 16:45:19 PST 2008

  AL LEVY wrote:
> Stephen G Barbone wrote<very snipped>
> Like Peggy Lee may  have made "Lover" into a jazz tune
> ================
> Me thinks Gordon Jenkins did that.
> Peggy only sang the song. :}
> ONLY? hope you recognize my sense of humor.
> Also hear what Stan Kenton did to it.

Dear Al and Steve,
By May 1952 the lovely Peg (and Mr Jenkins) were well down the list of
jazz renditions of "Lover" (composed by Rogers & Hart in 1932).
Try these:
Joe Marsala Oct 1942 and May 1945
Pianist Herman Chittison with Jimmy Shirley on guitar Jan 1944
Gene Krupa Sept 1945
I don't seem to have the Art Tatum versions from Jan 1944 and May 1945,
but can guess at the tempo.
And last, but certainly not least, Jack Teagarden with the Louis
Armstrong All Stars at Symphony Hall in Nov 1947.
Kind regards,
Bill.