[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Barnet and compilations

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sun Jan 27 16:04:30 PST 2008

Marek;

Charlie Barnet was certainly enamoured with the loose swinging sounds of the
Black bands and especially, the Duke Ellington orchestra. He recorded
several Ellington tunes besides his tribute to the Ellington band - "The
Duke's Idea". Such as, "The Gal From Joe's", "Night Song" (written by Duke's
valve trombonist Juan Tizol), "Echoes Of Harlem",  "Lazy Bug" (another Juan
Tizol tune with an assist from Barnet), "Lament For A Lost Love" and others.
"The Duke's Idea" as well as "The Count's Idea" were both written by Barnet.

At one time, George Simon called Barnet's band "The Blackest White Band".

Before he died, Benny Goodman's trumpeter brother, Irving, told me that
playing in Barnet's band was his favorite time as a musician.

Stan
Stan Brager