[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dance Clubs

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 08:36:46 PST 2008

In our area, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, we find
that just about every University has an active Swing Dance Club.
Especially those of Ivy League status  (Princeton, Univ of PA, etc) as
well as Lehigh, Univ of Delaware, University of Pittsburgh, etc.,

Question. Is this noticeable in other parts of the USA? Is there a
trend toward more swing dances in Colleges, or has it been there all
along since the 1980s and now dying out? Or?

Those of you (including me) who may have played the college circuit in
the late 1940s or through the 1950s probably have fond memories of the
kids' appreciation for the music and dance. Lately, Barbone Street has
found quite a few swing dance club gigs at the Colleges. And we've run
across Frankie Manning who started the Lindy Craze in the 1930s at
some of them. He's still teaching and gets around pretty well for an
oldster. (90+).

Cheers,
Steve Barbone