[Dixielandjazz] Release

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 20 14:11:27 PST 2008

Rebecca Thompson wrote:
Can someone enlighten me? I have heard this
reference before when the band leader might
instruct to do such and such "at the realease."
--------------
Funny you should mention that. First, to answer
your question. The release is the part of the song
where the tune changes, usually the 17th - 24th measures.
Classicaly if a tune is [a] [b] [a] in construction the B
section is called the "bridge", the "release", the "channel",
the B section, the "tunnel", the middle or perhaps
something else depending on your area of the world or
the age bracket of the people wiht whom you are playing.
=========
I quit music sometime in the 1970's. I returned in 1997.
To get started again I played around with midi sequencing
and music notation software just to get myself going.
I managed to play with a few bands within a year.

It took me a few years to realize we did not speak the
same language.

I said something like "you take it at the release" and
got blank stares.

I handed out a chart and somebody asked me if I intended
"swing 8ths".
Ole Rip Van Levy didn't know how to answer so I said
"what do you think?"

I since learned that swing 8ths meant play like an 8th
note triplet with the first note = to a quarter.
(I did hear Mancini talk about this, and how dotted 8th/
16th was not correct back in the 70's.

One member of a big band asked why I wrote the "SHOUT"
chorus twice.
Shout? The only I associated with shouting and music
was James Brown.

It seems a bit of a tragedy to me that the younger
generation - teen agers thru twenty somethings
only know the "Real Book" and not the real harmonies
or tunes.

'nuff said,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com