[Dixielandjazz] Tenor band

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Jan 18 12:29:22 PST 2008

The AF had some arrangers that did tunes for tenor band at that time.  They
were distributed to all the AF bands.  We did at one time have a tenor (3
tenors) book but I don't know what happened to it.  The Tenor band that my
unit had quit performing several years before I joined in '57.  I think they
used that book a lot during Korea.

You are right the AF did have staff arrangers who did stocks for the AF.
They also did other octet arrangements using 3 other saxes.  I remember a
couple that used Alto, Tenor and Bari with the usual doubles.

Tenor bands did have a great sound and I'm sort of surprised that they went
the way of the big bands at that time but they never came back.  Also I am
surprised that they don't distribute in house arrangements their people do.
Some of which are pretty good arrangers.  Maybe they don't want them all
sounding alike.  This way each band builds a particular character.  That is
definitely the case with the Air Guard Bands.
Larry