[Dixielandjazz] Stock arrangements

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 18 11:41:58 PST 2008

Hi Sheik,
You wrote:<snipped>
Hi Al. I'm fascinated by the subject of stock charts, especially the
history. When you were working with Warrington, was the office sort of an
arranging "shop"? What was your role?
=============================
Really small history. I started buying stock arrangements in high school.
One street in Manhattan had at least ten music stores where you could
purchase sheet music, stock arrangements, music books etc.
Sheet music apx 35c and stocks about 50c. The year 1947 - 48.
The usual instrumentation was 3 trpts 3 bones 4 saxes, occasionally 5
+ 4 rhythm. Twenty years earlier you'd find violin, sax, trpt, trombone +
banjo or guitar, piano and drums. I have some of those.
Even in high school we discarded what we didn't like. We loved playing
the Miller, Dorsey, Goodman charts even if we sounded awful.
{No one could ever play the Berigan solos}
==========================
When you were working with Warrington...
==========================
I really wanted to write, in the worst way. Keep in mind I didn't know
how to read music but I was writing it anyway(?)
I started by taking arranging lessons with Sy Oliver and Dick Jacobs.
A few months later they hired me to run the office. I was sixteen and
earning 50c an hour.

Sy took me to all the record dates at Decca where I handed out W2
forms and other misc. chores. When I wasn't occupied with things
to do I sat on the piano bench with Billy Taylor. He played almost
every date.

For the record: Sy did all his own writing, except for one or two occasions. *
    *(see notes at the end)

Dick ghost wrote for people like Percy Faith. He also did most of the
string dates at Coral and backgrounds for Perry Como, Eddie Fischer
and even BUDDY HOLLY. To my knowledge Dick had two hit records.
"Petticoats of Portugal" and "The Man With The Golden Arm"

Johnny Warrington never hired anyone to do his work. There was never
a "factory" situation in any case.

At some point I was given the chore of copying arrangements for play
in the studios. (Louis, Sarah, Ella, Andrews Sisters, Crosby, Dorsey)
and many, many more. I learned there, to respect people for what they
accomplished not according to my taste. (I do have stories)

Kwik digression: Sy wrote the vocal part for the Andrews Sisters.
My idols were the Be Boppers, everything else was junk!

On the vocal sheet he wrote the melody and lyrics only.
Above the tune in different sections he would write "sing in unison"
or "Harmonize". Those gals sightread the music and on the spot
created the harmony parts. My reaction: "Whew!" I might not buy
their recordings but what professionalism.

It was less than a year and I was writing for many of the local bands.
* Sy came in late one afternoon/evening.
He forgot a Tommy Dorsey date coming up the next day.
That meant eight charts due by 1:00pm next day.
I asked him if I should stick around to run errands. I did run downstairs
to get him a london broil on rye + a cup of coffee, black!
then I went home.

Next morning I came in early to find Sy sleeping on a bench in his office.
With some trepedation I woke him up. "Did you forget the date?"
Another coffee and he was back to work.

Came a call - "Hey Al"
I went in and Sy had sketched a riff on some score paper.
He then said
"here's the intro" - a few pages later the same sketch.
"Write the first chorus up to the riff and I'll take it from there"
On three or four occasions I did the same for him.
If you listen to recordings you CAN tell the difference,
where I stop writing and he starts.
===================
One time Sy went to Europe to record with Caterina Valenti.
He completely forgot an entire record date at Decca.
Dick Jacobs and I wrote the four charts. (Sy got the check)
Some time later Sy heard one of the tunes on WNEW.
He called me in and said "I don't remember writing that."
I called Dick to come in to Sy's office. We both swore
that indeed Sy had written and conducted that date.
He never learned the truth.

I've never heard the recordings. I do remember doing
"On The Trail". It sure don't sound like Sy.
====================
RE: was the office sort of an arranging "shop"?
Obviously no!  but
A few years later I did ghost write for two other people
who had "arranging shops".
One was Dean Kinkaide. He was doing apx 12 - 13 charts
a day. Many were commercials and some were for record
dates. When he had a cold or wasn't feeling up to snuff I'd
get called in. I managed to write for Pepsi Cola, General
Electric, GM and the like. Great work. 30 seconds of music
$2000.00 pay check, no residuals. One of Dean's clients
was Robert Farnon, so, I got some of that work also.

The other fella who ran a "shop" called his company
"Jingle Jangles." At first he hired me to play for his wife,
Dorothy Collins.Later he tested me by asking me to create
some music using a pd tune for a commercial.
I really don't remember but I think I used "Pop Goes The Weasel".
I've completely forgotten the product. Good news, I landed a new
job. The composer/arranger was Ray Scott.
This guy was into electronics and music way before Hi Fi.
You wouldn't believe what he did to his basement.
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com