[Dixielandjazz] Stock arrangements and recordings

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Jan 18 10:18:47 PST 2008

Some musicians I have met believe that "stock arranging"
means "watered down" or "not too good". Not true.

Some are "more playable" than others but some were killers.   Four Brothers pops to mind.  I remember the AF band rehearsing that tune a lot to get it up to speed.  On the other hand some were real pap.

One thing that makes the older ones not real useful is that the piano parts didn't have chord symbols.  Piano players don't like to wade through all those notes like they once did.  I'm not sure when they started putting them in but at some point they started doing it.  About a third of my stock collection doesn't have chord symbols.  They do have them in the guitar parts though.

For the most part I liked the way they were arranged and I also liked their versatility.  As I said before I used them with as small a group as five pieces with the ability to grow to be a big band.

One problem is that all the arrangements didn't have bari sax.  Some could be used with a tenor band.

A few years back I went to a Shriner convention here in St. Louis and there was a Tenor band that was from Kansas City I believe performing.  The tenor band had an interesting sound and was pretty popular for awhile.  You never hear tenor bands anymore.  The leader of that band, I was told, did his own arrangements.  Unfortunately I don't remember who it was.

I'm not sure if you could recreate the original sound of the tenor band anymore.  The instrument has evolved in sound and style so much in the last 80 years that it might be difficult.
Larry
St. Louis