[Dixielandjazz] Desert Island

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Jan 17 14:59:41 PST 2008

I'm somewhat surprised that no one mentioned that this is the 70th
anniversary of the first recordings made for Milt Gabler's Commodore label.
The band was Eddie Condon & His Windy City Seven with Bobby Hackett (cor),
Pee Wee Russell (cl), George Brunis (tb), Bud Freeman (ts), Condon (gui),
Jess Stacy (p), Artie Shapiro (b) and George Wettling on drums.

2 standards were cut on that Monday - "Love Is Just Around The Corner" and
"Ja-Da".

There were also 3 others which were all head tunes  - "Beat To The Socks",
"Carnegie Drag" and "Carnegie Jump". For a long time, my suspicions were
that they were named in reference to a concert they'd heard the previous
evening - Benny Goodman playing the first jazz concert in Carnegie Hall.
Yesterday was this event's 70th anniversary.

Albums with these recordings have long been among my desert island choices.

I'd like to read what you think of these recordings.

Thanks;

Stan
Stan Brager