[Dixielandjazz] Up date / Bill Hunter RIP Memorial service and concert/jam session

Flip Oakes flip at flipoakes.com
Wed Jan 16 21:04:36 PST 2008

On behalf of the Hunter Family......

Hello friends and family,
I'm sad to announce the passing of my father, Bill Hunter on Jan 8th 2008.
There will be short Memorial service and concert/jam session for him on
Sat. Jan.19th. at the
Belly Up Tavern
143 S. Cedros Ave. Solana Beach,CA 92075
858-481-8140
12 to 3pm
Flowers can be sent to the Belly Up Tavern on Sat. after 11am
Unfortunately because of the nature of the venue, children cannot attend.

Todd Hunter

----------

Jan. 8th, one of my dearest friends has passed away in San Diego.

Bill Hunter a World Class Jazz Pianist passed away around 4:30pm. His wife
Nanci, and family called me from Sharps Hospital, where he taken to after he
had collapsed at home.

He¹ll be truly missed by all I¹m certain. I had the unique pleasure of
playing with him for 43 years, ever since I was only 15 years of age. He was
a great inspiration to me in many ways. As most everyone also knew Bill as
being a first class dentist as well, always willing to help out musicians,
and their family's.

He had played with many of the greats, along with most of the San Diego
local musicians, including Shorty Rogers, Bob Crosby and the Bob Cats,
Johnny Best, and Bud Shank. Some of the festival circuit bands he played
with were Chicago Six, South Market St. Jazz Band, and most recently with
Bill Alreds Classic Jazz Band.

With the greatest respect and love,

Flip Oakes http://www.southmarketstreetjazzband.com