[Dixielandjazz] Stock arrangements and recordings

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:10:31 PST 2008

This ties back to the "Recreated recordings" thread too.  But, I guess I can address this to Sheik and to Chris Tyle specifically...

I just bought Chris' "Sugar Blues" album, the tribute to King Oliver, yeah it's 12 years late but at least I have it.  ;)

Marty Eggers suggested to me that at least the  chart of "Aunt Hagar's Children Blues" was a stock.  I've not heard an Oliver recording of it (actually, I have very few Oliver recordings any more--I've lost so doggone many CDs over the years   ;(   )  but that certainly seems possible.  I really like Marty's use of the bow, and the tango rhythm in the bass/drums (Hal Smith).  (Marty gave credit to the arrangement for the cool feel!)

But, to get to the question--Were the "stocks" the creation of some publishing house lackey, working off the original published sheets, or were they based on the recordings by whomever popularized the tune, or were they the charts used in the recording?

Since the ragtime band I play with uses a lot of stocks reworked for our instrumentation, I'm curious as to the origin of them.

thanks!

steve