[Dixielandjazz] The Clarinet in Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 16:50:36 PST 2008

For the clarinet players on the list. "Intonation? We don't need no stinkin
intonation." <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Paquito D'Rivera Interview  by Bill Donaldson JAZZ IMPROV MAGAZINE Jan 08

JI: Talk about the role of the clarinetist in jazz?

PD: Well, it¹s coming back again, isn¹t it? There are very few of us jazz
clarinetists: Eddie Daniels, Don Byron and Ken Peplowski. But more people
are acquiring again the affection for the instrument. The clarinet
disappeared for many years. John Coltrane brought back the soprano
saxophone, but that instrument is a lot easier to play than the clarinet.
They say that the clarinet was invented by five men who never met. [Laughs]
I always say that the clarinet is a female instrument because you never know
what she is thinking. The instrument is totally unpredictable. Most of the
time, the instrument plays fine. Then I put it aside to go get a glass of
water, and when I come back, it doesn¹t work any more. With the saxophone,
if the reed gets dry, you blow the horn a little bit, and you get sound
again. But the clarinet? Totally unpredictable!

JI: You work hard on intonation?

PD: Oh, a little. I try, no? Actually, I have produced a new CD called ³The
Tuning CD.² It¹s supposed to help clarinetists control their intonation.
That¹s very important. I don¹t achieve control of intonation all of the
time. Sometimes clarinet players play out of tune, and there¹s no way they
can control it. This, I am very conscious of. I hate playing out of tune.
Either clarinetists play well, or they don¹t play the instrument. It¹s hard
to find a bad clarinet player. When they cannot play, they say, ³Well, I am
not interested in playing. I just own the clarinet.² For other instruments,
you can blow more or less, and it¹s not so terrible. But with instruments
like the clarinet or violin, musicians must play well, or please don¹t do
it.

JI: What about articulation?

PD: I think articulation is extremely important. Many jazz players overlook
the need for articulation. The lines that they play are very even and always
boring. Another important consideration is dynamics. Too many jazz players
don¹t pay attention to dynamics. They play all of the same style: loud.
That¹s what happened with rock-and-roll. Improvising is like writing a piece
in impromptu.