[Dixielandjazz] The Greatest Music Lesson - was drums

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jan 10 16:49:29 PST 2008

Bill - I loved it.  I wish I had a dollar for every time a drummer played
past the end of the tune or someone played through a break.

My first teacher used to say that if you wanted to be a musician you had to
"Grow very big ears".  When I was a little kid taking lessons from him I
could just picture this good musician with exceptionally large ears.  There
was this tuba player in a muny band that had exceptionally long ear lobes
that would wiggle as he played. He must have been very good.  That's what a
little kid thinks.  I still remember him saying that over and over.  I think
I have applied it to my own music.  I understood what he meant even then.

My ears are still growing.
Larry
StL.