[Dixielandjazz] Drum Solos was applause

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 10 07:56:24 PST 2008

Clive Smith wrote:

> I am really allergic to drum solos. Why is it that audiences always go
> bananas after the drummer has beaten the s*** out of everything surrounding
> him - has a drum solo *anything* to do with music or merely an athletic
> exercise ?? I vote for the latter, with due apologies to my (few) drummer
> friends !!

Hi Clive,
I don't know which drummers you are referring to. Try listening to Baby
Dodds, Zutty, Black Happy Goldston, George Wettling and Gene Krupa to
name a few.
The drummer has as much relevance as a soloist as any other band member.
  Yes it should always be musical, and relevant to the piece that is
being played. It should never be a mere exhibition of technique (Buddy
Rich?)
The audience react because it is visual. They will react whether it is a
good solo or not.
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ