[Dixielandjazz] Re - Audience Noise During Concerts

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Jan 9 19:32:20 PST 2008

 Brian Harvey wrote regarding noise, during a performance:

> I sent this to a classical-jazz enthusiast friend and he telephoned to
> tell
> me of a new populist movement in the UK.
> This apparently seeks to stamp out the practice of applauding jazz solos
> because they can spoil the first notes of the following solo.
> Whilst I agree with that to a certain extent, to have no feedback would
> surely be a sterilising process?
> Comments anyone?
> Brian Harvey

I have mixed feelings about applause for Jazz solos.  It is great when it is
warranted.  However, so often it is not.  Too many times people clap for a
solo because they think they have to, or because they have become so
accustomed to doing it that they do it mindlessly.

Of course, most listeners hear music differently than a musician and
probably applaud for different reasons.

As far as covering up the first few notes of the next solo, often, if there
is a huge applause, you will hear the musician who's solo it is, wait a few
beats until the applause has began to subside before starting to play.  I
have noticed this more often in modern Jazz live recordings.

--Bob Ringwald