[Dixielandjazz] My Gratitude

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Wed Jan 9 18:55:56 PST 2008

KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI

Kansas City...and All That's Jazz. The Kansas City Jazz Museum. Kansas City.
Andrews McMeel, 1999. vii, 120pp., illus.

This profusely illustrated "museum" book tells the tale of a city where a
unique, "all day and night" style of jazz was created. Kansas City was the
"swinging town of the 1930s when jazz musicians in the hundreds played clubs
and dances all over town." They were encouraged in their efforts by "Boss"
Tom Pendergast, the city's corrupt mayor. The famous--Count Basie, Charlie
Parker, Mary Lou Williams, Lester Young--and the not-so-famous--Chauncey
Downs, Charlie Green, Frank Miller, Bob Wilson--jammed with each other and
any outsiders who dared to challenge them. "Kansas City Jazz. A Photographic
History" illuminates two-thirds of the book. One picture is of Pha Terrell,
Andy Kirk's male vocalist, who was often branded as a woman because his name
was pronounced "Fay". Pictures of marching bands and a Works Progress
Administration (WPA) band show two jazz combinations that were shared by
Kansas City and New Orleans (see NEW ORLEANS, Rose and Souchon).

"The Kansas City Scene" is described in an interview "with the veteran
pianist and band leader, Jay McShann, who was "Born in Muskogee, Oklahoma on
January 12, 1909." Other sauces say with equal authority that he was born on
January 12,1916.(Birth records in Oklahoma are closed to public inspection
so the correct birthdate may be difficult to establish).

The Kansas City Jazz Museum is now known as The American Jazz Museum. Other
books about Kansas City include Jazz Style in Kansas City and the Southwest
(Ross Russell, University of California Press, 1973); Goin' to Kansas City
(Nathan W. Pearson, Jr., University of Illinois Press,1987); Kansas City:
Jazz From Ragtime to Bebop, A History (Frank Driggs and Charles Haddie,
Oxford University Press, 2005)

.Jazz museums in New Orleans and New York (Howard E. Fischer. Jazz Expose:
The New York Jaxz Museum and The Power Struggle That Destroyed It (Sundog,
2006) have closed.. A projected one in Charlottesville, Virginia never
materialized.