[Dixielandjazz] Bill Hunter RIP 07/11/38 ­ 01/08/2008

Flip Oakes flip at flipoakes.com
Tue Jan 8 20:37:50 PST 2008

I have some very sad news to announce..

One of my dearest friends has passed away today in San Diego.

Bill Hunter a World Class Jazz Pianist passed away this afternoon around
4:30pm. His wife Nanci, and family called me.

He¹ll be truly missed by all I¹m certain. I had the unique pleasure of
playing with him for 43 years, ever since I was only 15 years of age. He was
a great inspiration to me in many ways. As most everyone also knew Bill as
being a first class dentist as well, always willing to help out musicians,
and their family's.

He had played with many of the greats including Shorty Rogers, Bob Crosby
and the Bob Cats, Johnny Best, and Bud Shank. Some of the festival circuit
bands he played with were Chicago Six, South Market St. Jazz Band, and most
recently with Bill Alreds Classic Jazz Band.

With the greatest respect and love,

Flip Oakes
http://www.southmarketstreetjazzband.com
http://titanhotseven.com