[Dixielandjazz] Boehm vs Albert Sound + Glisses + Whoopee

OArkas at aol.com OArkas at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 12:48:25 PST 2008

I've been watching the thread on Boehm/Albert clarinets.   I've been playing
Albert only since 1963.   I think Steve is correct (as are most of the others)
when they say that some people can't tell difference.   But I DO believe
there is a difference.   I have picked up and tried various Boehms just for fun
over the years.   I do not like the system for how the notes are made, and I
really don't like the sound.   When I play some notes on the Boehm, it sounds
more like MY sound, but not the way I sound on the Albert.   It never does.
This may be crackpot theory, but I think the more holes in the instrument and the
more "hardware" stuck on in, the more of the overtones are lost.   In my case
I like the Albert/Simple systems with no rings on the upper joint.   They
sound even more rich than the Alberts with the extra rings and extra keys (like
the German style Amatis for example).   There are many clarinet players on the
Greek Turkish clarinet forum who are saying the same thing.
I know that a lot of this is subjective evidence, but I much preferred Willie
Humphrey's tone (I heard him play live, and I've heard the recordings of the
other old time Albert players) over that of most Boehm clarinet players.
Whatever, though, I love the clarinet in traditional (OKOM) jazz!!
John Pappas

John
oarkas at aol.com