[Dixielandjazz] Makin' Whoopee (meaning)

cmhallin at algonet.se cmhallin at algonet.se
Tue Jan 8 01:23:24 PST 2008

>----Dr. Luis Daniel Flores FRCOG wrote:----
>I do have five versions of this tender song: Armstrong (2), Southern
jazz and
>Stephen Grappelli, and Ray Charles
>I want to know the meaning of this word ´´Whoopee´´

To make whoopee in the general sense means to party, to have fun; in
the context of the song, given the content of the lyrics, I've always
interpreted as a very thinly veiled reference to a specific form of
fun, i.e. sex.

Its a very good tune, too, that I've always enjoyed playing; from a
musical point of view, I mean, rather than because of the double
entendre.

All the best,

/Mattias

---
Mattias Hallin · Brussels · Belgium · <cmhallin at algonet.se>

"Oh bury me thar! With my battered git-tar!
A-screamin' my heart out fer yew!"