[Dixielandjazz] Makin' Whoopee (meaning)

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 8 01:10:58 PST 2008

Luis asked:

I do have five versions of this tender song: Armstrong (2), Southern jazz
and
Stephen Grappelli, and Ray Charles
I want to know the meaning of this word ´´Whoopee´´
Thanks
Dr. Luis Daniel Flores FRCOG
www.jazzysentimientos.com.ar
domingos/Sundays 9:30/12:30 GMT
~~~~~~~~

Hi Luis,
A quick look at the dictionary says:

>"cry of exultation: used to express great and sudden excitement (informal)
>(often used ironically)

[Mid-19th century. Alteration of whoop ]

make (making) whoopee [w?oppi] (dated informal) to engage in sexual activity
to celebrate noisily and exuberantly" <

For what it's worth, I did four years on the road with Bob Kerr's Whoopee
Band which was nearly always exciting and, being like a small Spike Jones
band, was also very noisy !!
~~
John D ;~)