[Dixielandjazz] Bending notes on clarinet

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jan 7 10:07:11 PST 2008

Hi Zach
Bending notes is more a function of you than the horn.  I agree with the
idea that if your horn has been in storage for a long time you may very well
have pad problems.  I had a clarinet on the shelf for some years and I
decided to haul it out and every pad was gone.  In all the years I had
taught and played I had never seen anything like it.  My repairman explained
about worms eating the skin off the pads.   There was not one shred of skin
on any pad.

While I was still playing clarinet a lot I played on a big bore Selmer G10.
The large bore caused it to be flat but a shorter barrel took care of that.
Intonation was good throughout the range.

When you say bending of notes what exactly do you mean.  Sliding between one
note and the next or vibrato or a smear, gliss or bend.  Almost all of those
are a function of your lip except a smear which is done by sliding the
fingers off the hole and if done smoothly can be very large and the gliss.
Lip smears are particularly effective in the high register.  I can play any
note between G or G# and C in the upper register with my lip only.

I sort of wonder why you might want to do this stuff if you haven't played
for awhile.  I would think you might want to get your embouchure and
intonation firmly in hand before trying a whole bunch of stuff.  It won't
hurt you do "stuff" but might cover up some basic problems that you could
have after a long layoff.

The differences between an intermediate model and  so called pro models are
very small.  There is a bigger difference between a student horn and an
intermediate horn.  Pro models often have a few adjustment features that
intermediate and student horns don't have and may feature undercut tone
holes and better metal in the keys.   I think you need to take better care
of a pro horn because they are more prone to adjustment problems.  I agree
with Steve's comments about trying a bunch of horns if you are really set on
buying a new horn but I would wait awhile until everything gets up to speed.
Larry
St. Louis