[Dixielandjazz] The "one last thing" thread

CreightB at aol.com CreightB at aol.com
Thu Jan 3 08:28:07 PST 2008

Bob Ringwald said, in response to Rebecca Thompson:  "Let me use this  post
to invite the other 350 members who usually lurk, to get into the action  here,
start a thread and participate.  If not, you will continue to hear  from the
same people, posting the same comments over and over."

Well, for myself, the original "listees" were much more into discussing
history of the music and artists.  Several were well steeped in those  subjects
and made extremely interesting posts.  Chris Tyle was on the list  way back in
the early days and his discussions along, with a couple of  gentlemen I cannot
recall at the moment, were extremely interesting, to me  at least.  The only
instrument I have ever played is  a player piano, that I rebuilt, and that took
my feet and a pump, not  hands, to play.  I only collect, listen and enjoy.
The insights to  the past, and some current, musicians are most interesting to
me.

Now lots of what goes on in repetition has also been interesting, but only
for the first couple of times.  Some have plenty to say, and in some cases  the
repeated stuff is new, and informative, to a "newby" on the list.   So, all
repetition is not bad.  Some threads, like what is  jazz/okom/whatever, do keep
coming up every now and then and differing  interpretations usually seem to
coalesce somewhat.

Flaming took many of those contributors, that I enjoyed early on in the
list, to opt out of posting, off the list, or off to lurking.  What a  shame.
Even Rebecca got a mini flame just for expressing her opinion, and  I guess I'd
have to agree with her.

I wish I could get off to Spain and sit in the smoky room and listen to Jim
K's band.

My thoughts.

Creight Bricker - Lurker and one time DJML shirtmaker (with the art done by
Gill Gunter) - once of Sunnyvale, CA but now of Grand Junction,  CO