[Dixielandjazz] Creole Xmas at Preservation Hall

Tito Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Thu Jan 3 07:24:35 PST 2008

Bob Romans asks:

Message: 7
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:14:45 -0800
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Creole Christmas at Preservation Hall
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>

I'm interested in comments about this presentation from my Listmates...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9zpJmhEZII&feature=related

Warm regards,
Bob Romans,
------------------------------

Well, Bob, what can I say....
That is not the Preservation Hall that I knew and certainly if it sticks
to this trend, is not anymore the place for hearing Traditional Jazz...
Attention ! I am NOT against what is being played in that clip, and I am
not against ANY type or style of music.
I simply don´t identify myself with this kind of popularized New Orleans
music, I even don't call it "JAZZ", because
it misses strongly most of the original musical roots, misses the sacred
fire and misses the grandeur of the Preservation Hall Bands
with Louis Nelson, Sweet Emma, George Lewis, Sammy Penn, Jim Robinson,
need I say more?!  They are all gone, I know,
but we can find in the entire world dozens of Traditional Jazz Bands
with younger jazzmen playing well in the "old" style, not a copy attention!,
they just use the form and the musical syntax to re-create their own
Jazz. (Take f/ex. Evan Christopher, Dr. White, Don Vappie, and the Gota
River Jazz Band in Sweden, the Bogalusa New Orleans Jazzband in
Switzerland, the Rascals in Japan!   etc. etc.).
I can listen to that video clip, but with a certain sadness and regret
considering how musically poor and bare in imagination it seems,
compared to the "originals" of 60's and 70's !
Certainly the economical situation in NO is rude and hard, the musicians
at hand have to play,
that's the reason I accept and endorse /socially/ this trend, but
musically...   let's hope for something better!
That's my feeling.
cheers
Tito Martino