[Dixielandjazz] PRO - gripe

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Jan 2 22:10:49 PST 2008

Larry, a side man approaching a client on a gig, or even handing out
business cards to anyone on another leader's gig is a no no around here.  If
any musician ever did it to me, it would be the last time he ever worked for
me and everyone in town would know about it.

I know, when I lived in Los Angeles and an agent or contractor hired you,
that was one of the stipulations, "No business cards to be handed out."
Sometimes the agent or contractor would give you his card to hand out.

Here, if someone asks one of the sidemen for a card, he comes to the leader
and gets one from him.

>From now on, I suggest that before the gig, you hand each musician in your
band a couple of your business cards and tell them point blank, if anyone
asks, give them your card.  Tell them, under no circumstances do you give
them your own card, or solicite any gigs.  If you have sideman agreements,
I'd put that statement in it.

Best,

--Bob Ringwald