[Dixielandjazz] Multilanguages, smoke, and more

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Jan 2 13:09:45 PST 2008

Jim-> Our band is Spanish,.......
> OK two solutions - refuse to speak anything except French like the French
> do or like us, only English.

I was being funny sort of the only people that eclipse us for single
language use.  Us because we can't, them because they won't.

> I'm sure the night life would be a whole lot more lively if our drinking
> age wasn't 21 but 16 like in Germany.

LW.  I have a 16 year old grand daughter in Germany who parties somewhere
almost every night.  I guess I'm just old fashioned but carousing and
drinking usually isn't considered a good thing.  My Son and Daughter in law
own an apartment building and she has her own apartment but she's out of
school and has a job.  School usually lasts to 17 or so here but there they
can get out at 15 or so and go to work.

>> Forget your clear atmosphere!
>
> Smoking is now banned in all Illinois night clubs and other public places.
> I'm pretty sure Missouri will follow suit soon.

you said they ignore the laws there - that simply won't be the case here for
the most part.  The bars there were almost empty for the big New Year's day
football games.  Lots of screaming and gnashing of teeth.

> Our fire codes here limit numbers of people in a given room so this
> doesn't happen here.
yes we have a lot of rules here but the disasters are usually in the after
hour places that aren't licensed and therefore are not inspected.  Some
citys, New York and Chicago pop to mind, are extremely lax when it comes to
enforcing their laws and those things happen there.  Out here in flyover
land it's pretty difficult for these places to operate because they do
enforce the fire codes pretty stringently.  Every room has an occupancy
number posted on it.

> Don't people go to work there Jim?

I got a real laugh out of your answer and the U.S. is definately a different
place from Europe. ... Rock On....OOPS!  OKOM ON!