[Dixielandjazz] Multilanguages, smoke, and more

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Jan 2 10:34:13 PST 2008

 Our band is Spanish,
> and the language on stage is Spanish.  I always announce in Spanish, but
> at
> this club often get a blank look from the audience!

OK two solutions - refuse to speak anything except French like the French do
or like us, only English.

> Last nite seemed to be almost 100% French!  Tonight, who knows?  It seems
> change from nite to nite.  Lots of Dutch, German, Italian, & American
> students come in. The kids (17 to about 30 years old, probably) blend in
> well with the Spanish crowd who span an age of 17 to 90!

I'm sure the night life would be a whole lot more lively if our drinking age
wasn't 21 but 16 like in Germany.

> Forget your clear atmosphere!  A young kid smoking a pipe right in front
> of
> the bandstand left just before we started to play (thank goodness!) last
> nite.  He had been sending up huge clouds of nice smelling smoke, but it
> was
> very heavy!

Smoking is now banned in all Illinois night clubs and other public places.
I'm pretty sure Missouri will follow suit soon.

> There is little chance for dancing, as every single bit of floorspace is
> covered by humans!

Our fire codes here limit numbers of people in a given room so this doesn't
happen here.  I played many gigs when I was in college where there were so
many people that you couldn't move.

We do see the odd couple having a go, plus one lady one
> nite grabbed our trumpeter & swung him around the joint.  Just lots of fun
> with some good music tossed in.

Sounds like a lot of fun

> It is still Christmas time in Spain. ........ We play 11pm to 1am-ish
> (two 45 min sets).  When we
> leave the club, nite clubs around the neighborhood are just opening (their
> heavy time is from 1:30am to 5am!)...............  And, you may have
> noticed I said "afternoon".  Yep,
> afternoon is from 3pm to 10pm.  Nite begins after your dinner (at 10pm!).
> And, dinner is always with good red wine!

Don't people go to work there Jim?
Larry
St.Louis