[Dixielandjazz] 17 vs 19 fret for ease of chording

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Jan 2 09:05:49 PST 2008

The nut problem is a very real cause of chording problems when using bar
chords but if you are trying to use the soft flat part of your finger to
press down can cause it too.    You said rolling your finger was difficult
but the side of your finger is much harder and more efficient in pressing
down the strings.  The finger should be rolled to about the 45 degree angle.
That worked for me although I have seen guitar players who's first finger
was quite flat.  There is a difference between the string height in an
acoustic instrument and an electric and that may account for the difference.

You might also check the bridge height and consider adjusting the angle of
the neck but lowering the bridge can have the same effect.   I am assuming
that the neck is straight and the frets aren't worn out.  I bought one of
Mel Bay's personal banjos and the first four frets or so were very worn.  I
didn't notice it when I bought it but after playing on it for a week it was
just impossible to play cleanly unless I used my fingertips.  He had it re
fretted for me and I had no problems after that.

Check that neck with a steel straight edge.  Many have a slight bow in them
and there may be an adjustment you can make if it is.  This is also a good
way to see if you have worn or uneven frets.

I was considering re learning the fingerings and tuning before I had my
accident that put me out of the banjo / guitar playing business because
playing banjo was very tiring on longer gigs.  I had a lot of trouble with
my hand cramping especially when the horn players decided to take endless
choruses.  Oddly enough I didn't have the problem with guitar even my 12
string didn't cause me any problems.  This is probably due to the difference
in string height of the electric vs. acoustic that I mentioned before.

Since there are only 4 strings you might try playing each with a separate
finger.  I have small hands and that never worked for me very well.  Guitar
tuning just seems to work well with bar chords.  There are a lot of times
you can play three string chords too while blocking the odd string but
that's only an option.

Be careful adjusting that nut.  Just a few strokes with a file can destroy
it.  (Been there, Done that)  Should that happen you can repair it with a
little epoxy glue down in the slot and re file it.  I used a fine knife edge
jewelers file available at some hobby shops to make the adjustment.
Larry
St. Louis