[Dixielandjazz] List Policemen etc.

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Tue Jan 1 21:06:41 PST 2008

Larry,

Your response to my post and this one are much appreciated.  I never have
figured out why anyone would be upset with any category of posts except for
those that are wildly off topic.

Take my perspective, for instance.  I'm a fan.  My only contributions to
this list can be from that perspective.  I never have made a dime playing
music.  I never did learn to improvise well, and once I needed bifocals, I
never could focus on the spots.  So an incredibly bad amateur player became
strictly a listener.

My interest here is mainly in the discussions of the music and musicians.
Sitting here in Joliet, IL, I'm not all that interested, though, in who is
playing in what festival in San Diego because I can't afford to go there.
I'm really am interested, though, in posts like those by you, Steve, and Tom
that involve how to spread the music to a new generation.

Let's put it this way, folks.  I'm 57 years old, and when I go to venues
where OKOM is played, I'm usually the youngest person in the audience,
except when I'm with my 28-year-old son.

My musical tastes go way beyond OKOM, and his go way beyond mine, but he
fell in love with OKOM as a result of my taking him to a performance of the
Jim Cullum Jazz Band in Madison, WI (for which I'm eternally grateful to Don
Mopsick).

The key was my getting him to hear the music when the time was right for him
to hear it.  And that's what guys like Steve are trying to point out.  I
don't get this move to silence him at all.  It takes me about one second to
delete a post on guitar frets.  It shouldn't take anyone here any longer to
delete this or any other post if you're not interested in this topic.

One last thought:  I act as a moderator on a web site.  We have people there
who also try to tell people what and what not to post.  We have a standard
phrase that we use to stop that:  "Let the moderators do the moderating."  I
think Bob does a terrific job moderating this list (despite the fact that I
still can't hear Joe Venuti saying anything other than "Barnacle Bill the
Sailor").  Please let him do that without trying to tell him how.

Hal Vickery