[Dixielandjazz] 17 vs 19 fret for ease of chording

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 1 14:53:00 PST 2008

You would tap into a larger potential pool of responders by posting this
question on Yahoo Groups Fourstring banjo list. >_http://groups.yahoo.com/_
Ginny

In a message dated 1/1/2008 3:46:56 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ezola at charter.net writes:

I'm  wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I play dixieland in a band and
notice my  bar chords are difficult to play clearly at times. I tune to the
guitar, and  find my "B" string falls under my knuckle which makes a thud for a
note.  Chords that sound this way are usually, but not exclusively, on the first
fret, such as Ab7 or F7. I try rolling my forefinger but this is difficult
and  puts a lot of stress on my finger. I play a 17-fret Gooodtime banjo by
Deering. Would buying a 19-fret be easier to play? I switched to ghs plectrum
light strings. At first this seemed to be easier, but again, the bar chords  are
"thuds." Any ideas?
Joe