[Dixielandjazz] could use some proffestional help

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Feb 29 10:01:48 PST 2008

One thing that I did forget that you might try is with an accompaniment
background of some kind like the (JA Blues series or BIAB) play whole notes
to match the chord name then play the third of the chords.  Do this until
you have it memorized.  Then the fifths.  Note the common notes between the
chords C chord has the common G between the C and the G7 chord and C is the
common note between the C and F chords.  Play through and try to find the
common notes as you play.  If there isn't one then move between them with a
passing note.  You may have to write this out at first but it will help.

The key to this is to be able to hear it.  Another suggestion is to pick
which note of the chord to start on.  If you are an absolute beginner then
use the name of the chord as your first note.  In reading through a
progression the chord names will give you sort of a guide point as the
chords change.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with hitting that chord
name note on the beat of each change.  As you get better you will be able to
make your solos a little bit more interesting.

I'm not so sure this will be of a lot of help but I also decide if I want to
generally ascend, descend or stay in about the same place.  So if I start on
let's say a high D on my sax I'm going to descend where if it's the middle D
I may either go up or down with the overall line.  I am sort of partial to
descending patterns.  I would imagine that most players don't think much
about that and just go for it.

If I'm looking at a solo in a tune I don't know I will sub tone through the
chord line that way in the minute or so before I'm on.  This will orient me
to the changes so in effect I go back to square one.

One guy suggested playing the bass notes.  This is more or less that idea.
Larry
StL