[Dixielandjazz] Sextette From Hunger

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 28 17:51:22 PST 2008

> "Bob Romans" <cellblk7 at comcast.net> wrote
>
> Hi...can any of you help Norrie Thompson?

> ---- Original Message ----- From: "Norrie Thomson" <jnt at blueyonder.co.uk
> >
>>  Hi Bob
>>
>> I wonder if you can help me by providing some info?
>>
>> I was recently given a tape of a band called "Sextette From
>> Hunger", the
>> leader of which was a guitarist, Eddie Skrivanek.  The rest of the
>> band is
>> George Thow (trumpet)
>> Joe Yukl (trombone)
>> Blake Reynolds (clarinet)
>> Charles LaVere (piano)
>> Country Washbourne (string bass, tuba)
>> Bob Gonzelmann (drums)
>>
>> There are one two changes to the line during the recording.
>>
>> I have searched the WWW and have found a lot of info re recordings
>> but
>> nothing about the band itself other than it was featured on radio
>> in the
>> LA area in the late 1940s / early 1950s.  I appreciate that you
>> would be
>> too young to remember the band in person but wondered if you knew
>> anyone
>> who might be able to give me some info about the band, where its
>> name came
>> from etc. (I suspect that the leader may be of Hungarian extraction,
>> although this may be wrong and have nothing whatsoever to do with
>> name)
>>
>> Hope you can help

Probably best to google the band members.

I do know that trumpeter George Thow was once a member of the Ben
Pollack Orchestra. And also that Country Washbourne was with Spike
Jones. He and Red Ingle (listmate's Don's dad) left Jones at about the
same time and started free lancing. Also know that Brad Gowans played
with the Sextette from Hunger for a while and it was probably his last
gig. He collapsed on a gig with them and I don't think he ever played
again, passing away a few months later.

Don Ingle may well know the group and more about them. They were not,
to my knowledge of Hungarian extraction.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone