[Dixielandjazz] Improvising

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Feb 27 17:47:11 PST 2008

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working with the Aebersole books /
CD's.  I guess it just depends on what you do with them.

I'm not sure where memorization leaves off and improv starts except one is
simply mirroring back and the other is an original composition that is
unique to you.  I suppose they can be interchangeable to a point.  Lots of
guys learn licks and then put them together into something.  That sort of
drives me up  a wall sometimes but I suppose a lot of musicians do it and
some are really good at it.  I suppose too that licks become a part of your
interpretation and can be put in like you would add a spice to something you
are cooking.

When I was in the fifth grade my dad took me to a music store and bought me
a couple of sheets and I played through them about as well as any second
year player could.  I wanted them really bad because the old guy that gave
us lessons in school forbad any tunes of any kind.  This was the old school
Italian way.  I started playing them and almost instantly I started changing
the tunes around.  This was only a couple of passing tones and a couple of
upper and lower neighbors in a different rhythm.   What I was playing wasn't
on the printed page and it was original.  It wasn't memorized and at the
same time I wasn't copying from anyone.  Even though it was a beginners
effort it was jazz by just about any definition I have ever heard.

I have never been able to stay 100% in the lines since then.  Ah sin can be
so satisfying.  It's been down hill ever since.  The road to hell is paved
with good intentions.
Larry
StL