[Dixielandjazz] Sing-Song diplomacy-Ringwald responds

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 24 18:24:37 PST 2008

Vickers responded:
Bob:  Interesting.  Don't know how the writer omitted that famous Armstrong
tour-- however, as I noted, it's only a partial list.  I'll try to write a
note to Washington post.  When we were at the Louis Armstrong Festival in
New Orleans last August (Satchmo Summerfest) there was a video and a
discussion by George Avakian about that tour--how it almost didn't happen
because Armstrong was upset about the problem of integrating the school in
Little Rock.  Went public about it.  Pres. Eisenhower relented, sent in
Federal Troops-and as the saying goes "The Rest is History."

One other item.  When I sent in the story to DJML, it didn't have all those
references to websites.  Must be magic!

Thanks for your comment.

Norman Vickers
Jazz Society of Pensacola