[Dixielandjazz] Musical non-readers, can you add to the list?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:45:26 PST 2008

Larry's posting has reminded me of a story I heard from that wonderful
British trombonist Roy Crimmins (now living in Israel and,
unfortunately, retired from playing):
When Roy joined the Harry Gold's Pieces of Eight, he found all the
trombone solos written out.  After a while, he got tired of playing
the same solos over and over, he asked Gold: "Could I play MY OWN
solos?"  "By all means," replied Gold. It turned out that he had to
write down trombone solos because the previous trombone player could
not improvise!
Cheers