[Dixielandjazz] Musical non-readers, can you add to the list?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Feb 24 14:46:57 PST 2008

There is another side of this too Bill.  That's the audience.  So far I have
rebuffed the idea of playing for the local jazz club because they are not
nice to bands that read.  I have found that it's safest to have charts but
then the problem becomes the older jazzers just don't want to (or can't )
read.  These are the guys that will tear your socks off while others just
play notes.

So far the transition to charts hasn't totally taken place but like I said
before I think that my age group is on the border line and when we go there
will be very few players who can improv and know lots of tunes.  I think the
border line and transition point is the baby boomers and I came along just
before then.
Larry
StL