[Dixielandjazz] PRO - Advertising Results

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Feb 22 19:07:44 PST 2008

Some time ago I discussed advertising flyers and targeting customers.

There are a couple of guys that have written me about my flyers and at least one tried it with some pretty good results.

By the end of March I will have played 21+ gigs since the first of the year.  Two are with other bands and a third was cancelled due to a flu outbreak.  One of the gigs will be with my Big Dixie band.  While I didn't get the money I had hoped for on the big band it's at least a paid rehearsal.

These gigs are directly from mailed out flyers to Senior Venues.  I sent out 110 flyers at the cost of $127.  That cost reflects buying a cartridge for my color laser printer which was expensive and I bought 500 envelopes too.  That includes postage.  The flyer was more or less directed at Mardi Gras (7 gigs), Valentine's (0 Gigs) day and St. Patrick's day (7 gigs).  Three of the Mardi Gras gigs were on the same day, Fat Tuesday.  The problem with Valentine's day is that it is so close to Mardi Gras.   St. Louis is going Mardi Gras nuts and they are putting all their coins in the Mardi Gras basket.  Even at $127 I think that $6 a gig is well worth it.   It will be cheaper next time because I will use printed post cards directed at summer gigs.

I think that these are fantastic results for any kind of mail advertising and a whole lot better than I had in a couple of previous tries over the years.  Several of the gigs that I have booked in the last couple of weeks are new venues which should parlay into more gigs.

I am more expensive than most other groups or singles that work these places yet I am booking as many if not more than the cheap groups and singles.  I can only attribute that to effective advertising and catering to exactly what they want plus a couple of other principles which are: Music they like, good musicians, lots of color, planned programs ( 15 different themes), costumes when appropriate and reasonable prices.  I couple that with absolute availability and reliability.

There are a couple of other things I have done and that is tighten up my sales pitch.  Whenever I screw up it cost's me money as I did with the big Dixie band gig that I booked.  I could have gotten another $50 or 100 out of them.  Fortunately that doesn't happen very often.  I know that because when I told the lady the price she acted like she had just hit the lottery.  I forgot to ask her what her budget was.  Oh well it's a lesson learned (again).

For those of you who are timid about asking what they want to pay consider this.  A few years ago I was negotiating for a 5 piece band gig.  I was thinking $600.  When I asked the lady what her budget was she said $1200.  I told her I thought that I could get her a 6 piece band for that.  If I hadn't asked her I would have booked that gig at $600 and another guy wouldn't have worked.  I had a hard time not shouting CHA CHING!!!

My website is valuable to pre sell me and let them hear what I am all about.  I have done another thing that's a little gutsy lately.  If they are new and haven't heard me I tell them to go to the website and if they don't like what they hear or it's not what they want I will tear up the contract.  I could be wrong but I think that shows a lot of confidence with the customer and so far I haven't gotten any back.  It's almost like a money back guarantee.  You don't like it you don't have to keep it.  I wonder what some of you think of this?  I haven't been doing it enough to tell if it is working in the long run.

Again if anyone wants to see a copy of my latest flyer contact me off list and I will send you a copy via e-mail.

OKOM is a saleable commodity and there are people around who will buy it if you advertise, have a quality product and make yourself available at reasonable prices.

Last year I did 58 jobs and I am well on my way to doing better than that this year.  I still have some other ideas that should increase my advertising base.
Larry
StL