[Dixielandjazz] Restoring 78's

starwater_music starwater at mpinet.net
Tue Feb 19 18:18:27 PST 2008

> There's been plenty of digital ink spilled on this subject here lately,
> but
> I hope you'll allow me to weigh in.  While working on lots of pretty
> wretched 78s for my Two Ton Baker web site, I put together a page
> describing how I restore them.  It has notes, audio samples, and screen
> shots of my audio editing program, CoolEditPro (although they're more for
> decoration than enlightenment).

Thought I'd chime in on this topic. I hope my input doesn't come across as
argumentative - there are some issues I think are important to those that
care about records. I haven't seen previous posts on the topic, so forgive
me if anything I say is a repeat of ground that's been covered.

Dick - you mention using a dishsoap wash, and I assume you're also using tap
water? This makes me cringe. The whole idea is to remove debris from the
grooves - dirt, dust, mold & mildew, factory mold-release agents. Dishsoap
and tap water, while it may loosen some of the crud - but may also not be
that effective for some things -  also introduces whatever is in the soap -
surfactants, perfumes, and whatever chemicals. Even worse, tap water
contains minerals - i.e. little tiny pieces of rock. Further, simply rinsing
under the tap isn't the best method to remove debris, besides the fact that
you're introducing the aforementioned minerals to the surface of the record.

I'd really suggest using something that's concocted specifically for the
purpose of cleaning records - so that besides cleaning the record it also
won't damage the surface - in combination with a vacuum-irrigation device
like a Nitty Gritty, readily available online, or building something similar
if you're mechanically inclined and have a lot of time on your hands. IMO,
vacuum irrigation is the only way to really clean a record.

Noise-removal software can help, but it's not a magic cure. As Dick
mentions, really doing it thoroughly is tedious and is far from an automatic
process. Further, the software - even expensive high-end software like
Cedar - can introduce artifacts into the sound and can kill fidelity that
you're struggling to preserve. That's why cleaning is important. The more
dirt you remove, the less noise there'll be to remove in the first place. A
clean record also does less damage to the record and the stylus when
playing.

The cleaning solution I use is Disc Doctor Miracle Record Cleaner.

http://www.discdoc.com/

Looking at the site, I see he now also sells a "no-rinse" formula, but I'd
stick with the MRC which you dilute with distilled water. A big part of the
effectiveness is the special brushes he sells. They're specifically made to
work on records, one for applying the solution and one for rinsing. The guy
who sells the stuff is a record enthusiast himself and his site has a lot of
good info. My impression is that he's very knowledgeable. My impression is
also that his stuff works as claimed.

Just to clarify, I have no affiliation with any of the above mentioned
products. I just enjoy records and find the product works.

Dick - you mention playing at 45. Do you use a stylus that's designed
specifically for 78's? If you don't I believe you'll run into tracking
issues - the grooves on 78's are different that those on 45's and 33's, as
well as potentially doing damage to the records.

Anyway, that's my .02.

Best wishes

Robert Pulliam