[Dixielandjazz] Restoring 78s

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Tue Feb 19 14:19:36 PST 2008

Phil O'Rourke wrote:

>I follow almost the same path with one major (I think) exception.
>I record at 45 rpm to allow the needle to follow the grooves more closely.
>I then use speed/pitch correction in the program to bring the recording up
>to correct speed.

Aha, a brilliant idea--wish I'd known about it before.  I've sometimes been
able to overcome a little warpage or off-centeredness by adding some weight
to the tone arm, but that doesn't always work, and I worry about what it's
doing to the needle and cartridge.  Next time, I'll try your trick.

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org