[Dixielandjazz] Credibility

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Feb 15 10:13:56 PST 2008

I think I made that distinction too between the musical fraternity and the
general public.

The general public really gets off on this stuff.  Why do they hire one band
over another?  A lot of times is has to do with the leaders resume.  One of
my better Christmas gigs was nailed down because I played with one of the
local bands that the customer thought was really fantastic.  That band was
listed on my web site.  The exact quote was "if he plays with the Gary
Dammer Band he must be pretty good".  When I came on the job with Gary as a
side man I thought she would go into cardiac arrest she got so excited.  I
made her day.  People really like to hire people who have been somewhere and
done things.   I even paid him extra on the gig for his name recognition.
People who are in the know around here know his band as a top jazz group.
Who am I to tell them different?

There is a band in town that really sucks but to look at their web site you
would believe that this was the best band anywhere.  So what.  These guys
want to make a buck too.  It's enough for me to know that they suck and I
just keep my mouth shut.  They have their fans and if I open my mouth it
will just end up making me look bad.  Besides I really agree that they are
keeping big band music alive and active here.

Actually I think it's an obligation of a band leader to make his group as
attractive to the general public as possible.  The better he promotes his
band the more he gets to exhibit his art.  I don't condone outright lying
but in legal terms it's called puffing and that's perfectly OK and I would
suggest expected.  Your clients will in turn advertise you and puff some
too.

As Elizar pointed out sometimes the client will go overboard a little but
there was no lie.  He is in fact the principal banjoist with the Jerusalem
Symphony even though that might boggle the mind of a classic oriented
person.
Larry
St.L