[Dixielandjazz] Chop Saver

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 06:33:19 PST 2008

Hi Dan & List Mates

Reminds me of a passage in one of Louis Armstrong's biographies,
paraphrasing Roy Eldridge. It seems Louis used a secret concoction of
lip balm which he made himself. He was talking to Eldridge about it
and gave some to him since Roy had been complaining about chapped and
battered lips. Eldridge used it and then said something like: "Man did
that shit ever burn my lips. I couldn't hardly play for the next few
days."

Not that regular lip balms do that. I get chapped lips from time to
time and use a regular lip balm like Chapstick, or one of pure beeswax
and they solve my problem. Perhaps Chop Saver does the same only better?

In any event, I will call Joe Alessi and Chris Dudley later today and
ask them if their testimonials on the web site are accurate and report
back. Both of them probably play many more hours than any of us, and
Alessi is a pretty good modern jazz player in addition to his regular
gig.

What could be the downside in trying Chop Saver?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone