[Dixielandjazz] Laying Out Your Site

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Feb 13 16:10:56 PST 2008

I had one like that originally but the address was pretty long and not very memorable or easy to access it.  I haven't any of those so I don't know.

My basic rule of thumb on advertising is that the customer is basically illiterate and won't read past the bullets.  Billboard advertising is like that and operates on that basis.  One or two grabber lines then if the person wants to know more the info is there on the web site or a phone number.   It's the same principal as with newspaper headlines.  Grab them with simple stuff then draw them in.

A lot of musicians think that cool business cards is all they need.  Well good luck guys.  The old tried and true just doesn't work anymore or at least not very well.  You have to have them but you have to have other things too.

If the address is complicated at all they won't remember or go there. That sounds condescending but it's true.

There are places to go that will host free sites besides those.  I use www.freeservers.com  They have free web pages besides the pay ones.  The free ones tend to have complicated names added on to the one you pick.  I pay $7.95 a month and they have a $3.95 and free packages also

You also need to have a web domain name for the better web sites which isn't real expensive but not free.   That's after you have leased a name from one of the many suppliers of names.  Once you have leased the name it it's yours for the duration of the lease.  I think mine is good for 10 years.  All of these will give you templates that you can fill up with your text and photos.  The templates aren't bad but I wanted something that I had done.

I would put a lot of thought into your web site name.  I use two.  Larry Walton Entertainment.  It's unique enough that if you Google it you will find me on the first try.  That's the title of my first page.  Companies spend multiple thousands of dollars to get their name to show up first on Google and other search engines.  If you Google The Larry Show (with spaces) I come up on the second page but if they type in thelarryshow (no spaces) I come up first again.  My web site www.thelarryshow.com will fit on the front of my music stands easily and it's easy to remember.  BTW the gig I played Monday was obtained after the client first saw my advertising, then she went to my web site and called me.

That's why I like Steve's web site name.  It's easy to remember (same as his band) and simple  www.barbonestreet.com.  You can Google Barbone Street and his web site comes up first.

Unless the client is very lucky the web sites will do exactly nothing for you unless you tie it to print advertising.  It's the same as if you told someone to come to your house and then didn't tell them the address or even the city.  I have my website on Pocket calendars and Clocks that I hand out as well as plastered all over my print advertising.  Today almost everyone has access to computers and the net.  You can pack in hundreds of things on a web site cheaper than you can buy the cheapest yellow page ad but you do have to direct people to it so it's not a one dimensional project.

The best thing that I think that a web site does is pre sell you and they know exactly what they are getting before they call and you don't have to answer the inevitable question -- what kind of music do you play?  Believe me it saves a bunch of time.

I'm becoming known for doing theme parties and have built up a business based on it.  With a web site they can see what I do.  Monday was a 50's dance and I go as a Blues Brother.  Hey, you have to wear cloths so why not fit the party.  They hire me to entertain so I do.
Larry
StL