[Dixielandjazz] FW: OKOM in Spain

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Feb 13 08:57:50 PST 2008

Clive Smith wrote:
My missus and I will be leaving for Spain this weekend and would love to
hear from anyone who knows if there is OKOM in the following cities:

Ronda Feb. 19, 20 21
Granada Feb 22,23,24
Cordoba Feb 26,27
Sevilla Feb 28

Dear Clive, other than Sevilla, all the towns you will be visiting are small
& the possibility of finding jazz is even smaller.  Having said that, I did
find a jazz club in the more modern part of Cordoba, but I doubt if it will
be OKOM there.  Look for a tea club (Moroccan style) near the Mosque in
Cordoba.  You can have real mint tea & smoke a water pipe there.  Great fun,
beautiful setting.

Sevilla is larger, but again, I don't know of any jazz there.  I gather
you'll be flying in & out of Madrid, but we don't have anything this week.
We'll (Canal Street Jazz Band) be at downtown Madrid club on 23 & 24 Feb,
but you will be in Granada then.

Enjoy yourselves, and take in some Flamenco, as the area you're going to is
more adept at that then Jazz!   :>  Watch out for pick pockets, and if you
like real coffee, have a Café solo & don't add the sugar.  You drink it
standing at the bar.  Puts hair on your chest.  Cost will be around 1,20
Euros.  That's a lot for you, of course, with the dollar!
Tipping is NOT 20% here.  If you tip 10% you'll be a hero.  Spanish tip
about 1%, if at all.  I aim for rounding out close to 10%, & always get the
table I want in the places I return to, plus a free after dinner drink!

By the way, although it will be warmer down South than it is in Madrid, we
are down to freezing temps at nite now, and probably around 50F during the
day, so bring a coat.  It will feel warm, though, after NY, I suppose.

Jim