[Dixielandjazz] Hennig Hoehne

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 12 13:26:07 PST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 3:20 PM, Steve Heist wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Gosh, Hennig Hoehne???  I worked with him first at Phillip's (Inner
> Harbor, Baltimore) years ago - do you hear from him?  How's he
> doing, if so?  Jay Wachter on banjo?  Those were good days...  If
> you're in touch with him tell him I said "HI"...
> ALL the Best,
> Steve "Stubby" Heist
>

>> And Hennig Hoehne (With Mike Flaherty's Dixieland Direct), is a
>> premier reed man. 30 years with the Navy Band at Annapolis (ret
>> Master  Chief) I used to play at Camden Yards Baltimore Ball Park
>> with him in  a quartet. He on Sop Sax lead and me on clarinet plus
>> banjo tuba. He  is an incredible player and a gas to work with.

Hi Steve,

Hennig is doing well in the Baltimore - DC area. He gigs a lot there.
He is now divorced and that threw him for a while but he still plays
like a dream.

I too paid some dues at Phillips with Jay Wachter et al. It is exactly
58 miles from my farm. I remember the bar pianists, but not their
names, with whom we would jam after completing our table rounds. Very
possibly I jammed with you on occasion. I played there off and on from
1994 till about 4 of years ago, subbing for Hennig when he couldn't
make it. A favor to Jay because he was giving me a lot of party work
in Maryland.

I last spoke with Hennig a year or so ago and am on his "joke" list
which he sends out to friends. I don't have his e- mail address in my
book, but know his is on my "non-spam" list because I receive mail
from him. Next one I get, I will forward his address to you.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone