[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland in Northern Michigan

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Mon Feb 11 12:06:51 PST 2008

Stephen G Barbone wrote:
> Hey Don, are things warming up in snowy Michigan?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
>
> Dixieland endures in TC with new society
> BY CYMBRE FOSTER Special to the Record-Eagle
>
> Recently formed society holds concert today at Elks Club
> TRAVERSE CITY -- A group of Dixieland jazz lovers has decided to keep
> this upbeat musical style alive and well in northern Michigan.
>
> Bob Core was lamenting the end of the Dixieland Devotionals Sundays at
> the Presbyterian Church in Traverse City last summer when he came up
> with an idea.
>
> "It was after one of the last Dixieland Devotionals and I was talking
> with some friends and bemoaning the fact that we wouldn't hear this
> again for another 11 months and we decided to get together and form a
> club," he recalled.
>
> Core met with fellow jazz lovers John Meyers, Jim Rowlett and Marge
> and Jack Anderson. Together, they formed the Cherryland Jazz Society,
> an informal group that began meeting late last year to brainstorm ways
> to bring Dixieland and other traditional jazz to the area.
>
> "The idea is for the preservation, promotion and enjoyment of
> Dixieland, ragtime and New Orleans jazz," explained Rowlett.
>
> The group plans to promote traditional jazz through a number of
> avenues, said Core.
>
> "We'll sponsor programs with local and visiting bands, help encourage
> venues for local bands, provide audiences for musicians and publish a
> periodic newsletter with jazz schedules, musician biographies,
> information like that," he said. "We also want to help musicians who
> enjoy it form bands and we want to work with schools to interest
> students in this original American art form."
>
> The Society is sponsoring its second Dixieland concert today at the
> Elks Club in Traverse City. The Backroom Gang, a longstanding band in
> the area, will be playing. More than 200 Dixieland fans attended the
> jazz society's first concert in November.
>
> Rowlett, who doesn't consider himself a musician, said that he joined
> the society simply because he loves the music.
>
> And he's not alone.
>
> Dixieland, a typically upbeat music, was born from an amalgamation of
> blues, ragtime and a brass band tradition in the late teens to early
> 1920s in New Orleans. It spread from there to other cities such as
> Chicago and New York. It remains a beloved art form today.
>
> "It's the only truly American creation in the world of music, that's
> one of the things that makes it so special," said Rowlett.
>
> "People that like it probably don't even know why. But it has this
> happy, exciting beat and if you like it you like it."
>
> Tickets for the evening event are $15 and include a Cajun buffet,
> which starts at 5 p.m. The band will open around 6. Tickets can be
> purchased in advance or will be available at the door, though
> organizers suggest purchasing tickets early. Call the Elks Club at
> 946-6171 for reservations.

> [...]
Since  you asked, Steve: Life in the frozen north is the same old, same
old. But then I am here by choice so no complaints.
It was a cheery time last night at -17 F. but who cared. My wife baked
me a birthday cake (my 77th), we uncorked some fine wine and I polished
off the evening with a fine dram or several of  Cardhu. True -- did not
venture out since it was a night that would strike fear into the hearts
of brass monkeys. Winds had wind chifll at -43 F. Ahh...the true North
Country has returned. So much for global warning.
Listened to a DVD I burned off of a set  in Sacramento 1992 with the
Sons of Bix. Randy Reinhart on cornet, John Harker clar and alto, Paul
Woltz on bass sax, Sweden's Bert Dahlander (Hagar the Horrible) on
drums, Rod McDonald guitar, myself on trombone, and Don Gibson on piano
( a fellow listee now near growing gills in relentlessly drenched
Orgeon.) It was a kick ass band. Simon Stribling, from OZ, sat in on a
couple tunes, and several times Randy grabbed my valve bone and stuck me
on cornet and we had a hoot trading chases on a few tunes.
The rhythm section comped wonderfully  well, and I had forgetten about
that festival set until digging out a cassette to burn off on MP3..
So, what matter the  weather? We're going to get whatever Manitou sends
our way in the Great Lake Country.
With good wife Jean of 52 years -- many of them road years --  a good
steak, a cake,and libations worthy of awe, we ignore the snow piles and
drifts. I file my copy and photos by email,  the magazine checks come
in, so just stay snug in our 90 year old shack and  wait for the
steelhead runs to start.
Ahh, yes ... life is good if you are still alive to take what comes.
So much for life in the tundra and pines.
Don Ingle